GUEST BOOK

Sunday, 11 October 2009

THE HOUSE OF STORIES: PAULA REGO

Paula Rego, 74, a Portuguese born but London-based artist is regarded as one of the world's greatest figurative artists.

 Her work – paintings, pastel drawings, prints – is often disturbing and challenge conventions, particularly those relating to women.

 

The art critic Robert Hughes considers Paula Rego "the best painter of women's experiences alive today".

A museum exclusively dedicated to her work opened in Cascais, a coastal town outside Lisbon. It was built from scratch and designed by Portuguese architect Souto Moura.
 
Since Paula Rego did not like the idea of a museum, it has been named House of Stories: Paula Rego.
 
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to participate in the inauguration of  The House of Stories, one of the very few galleries dedicated to a living artist.
 

7 comments:

  1. Pintura muito expressiva, num tom forte quase chocante, plena de carácter. Não sabia dessa "casa". Obrigado pela informação.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not quite prepared for the artistic journey that the video took me on! I need to go back again and attempt to take another look without my audio!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Filipe, pessoalmente, não sou grande apreciadora da artista... A violência manifesta na sua pintura não é muito do agrado dos meus olhos. No entanto, quem sou eu, para questionar todo o seu valor quando é artista de reconhecido mérito?! A arquitectura da Casa é muito interessante e o seu interior impressionou-me pelo design e quantidade de obras expostas. Está belamente enquadrada numa grande área verde o que lhe dá uma perspectiva muito curiosa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Raj, for your visit. To be very frank, I am not a fan of her works, depicting violence, somehow. However, I appreciate her wildish and brilliant imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your video...a very suitable aria...Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great!
    Freedom.

    I wish to see her paintings in person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very colorful indeed thanks for showing us this vid Belita.x

    ReplyDelete