This Week’s Theme
Snoopy®
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was a dark and stormy night.
"It was a dark and stormy night"
My online friend said so to me.
Hardly could I believe what my eyes read
Living I far away from the Black Sea.
My nights are so different, oh yes, they are!
We have the midnight sun and the North Star
Enticing people from Peru to Myanmar
Into a summer season of nightless night
When the light is warm and also bright,
Time for festivals, races and games.
A bunch of events we greet with acclaim.
My nights are so different, oh yes, they are!
I love my place… its light is bizarre!
©2010, Belita, all rights reserved
What a delightfully fresh take on this! I wouldn't have thought of dark and stormy nights being alien to some people, but they could be, couldn't they? Interesting! You wrote it very well, Belita. I want to know the nights you describe.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Virginia, for your kind comment. Your words always encourage me to write. The Earth Planet is big enough to make what one takes as a familiar scenery be totally strange, not to say unknown, to someone else...
ReplyDeletewonderful expression in your beautiful words, love the pic too Belita, hugs Rosiex
ReplyDeleteExcelente, Belita!
ReplyDeleteWhen i traveled to Spain, the temptation to go right next to Portugal was astronomical.
Belita, i would like to know what your typical meals are like. What do u eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Do the Portuguese eat french bread (like the Spaniards) with their meals, and lots of olives, dry lunchmeat and hard cheeses? Just curious about your culture....
Thanks, hon!
Not easy questions... nowadays, meals vary from person to person. However, I will try to answer in general. Breakfast normally is not a heavy meal, black or white coffee and a toast or a ham or cheese sandwich. For lunch, soup is almost a must to have, to be followed by the main dish (fish or meat served with mixed salad or steamed vegetables and french fries or rice. Rice is more popular in the north than in the south... The trend is now for a light dinner, sometimes just vegetable soup, salad and fruit. Olives are commonly served at restaurants as appetizers and so are hard cheeses and liver paste. We have many varieties of bread and Portuguese bread is said to be one of the best in Europe. Different from French bread. If I personalize my meals, they have nothing to do with the above mentioned, LOL!
ReplyDeletePS. Olive oil and vinegar are the common salad dressing. Codfish dishes are something like the National dishes. We say there are over 100 ways of cooking codfish. Fresh codfish is not common here but dried and salted codfish. I would say that every restaurant has codfish dishes on daily menu. Feel free to ask whatever you want to know, I will be always pleased to give you the proper answer. Thanks for your interest in our culture.
ReplyDeleteVery fascinating! So kind of you to offer a peek at the cuisine of Portugal. Doesn't sound like Spain -- well, some.
ReplyDeleteWhen we traveled there, we did get a lot of french fries; but mayb that is what the guide ordered for us and we did have mostly American students.
We found the bread in Spain pretty HARD in some places. We couldn't eat it or mayb they fed us their old bread, hee hee :)
Here we eat tortillas -- corn and flour for our Mexican cuisine. Lots of cuisine from all over the world.
In my kitchen i cook American, Chinese, and Mexican mostly.
Fish: Cod must be the easy catch in the shores of your country, huh. Here it is catfish. I enjoy rainbow trout myself. We had hake in Spain and truly enjoyed it.
Thank you for all the info; i appreciate it very much!! :)
what a wonderful idea to use this for a poem, i love it.
ReplyDeletehttp://dageaux.multiply.com/journal/item/368/A_Million_Quotations_-_week_6
Very nice poem. I didn't realize you were far enough north to have the midnight sun. Interesting food discussion with tonia.
ReplyDeleteI am not far north, at all.... the wings of my imagination led me in that direction!
ReplyDeleteI say let's all go to Belita's house lol. Great poem, B. Sounds like you have a magical view.
ReplyDeletewell done!!!
ReplyDelete