As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for buying what I do not need but it looks so nice whenever I wear it...
I am entitled to a treat... I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging. Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60 & 70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over someone I lost... I will.
I will walk the beach in a swim suit that may not be the most fashionable and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They, too, will get old.
I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.
Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car?
But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.
I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.
As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think... I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong. So, if you ask me whether I like being old. I would say 'yes' as being old has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it). Fortunately, seldom do I feel ...
As we look at ourselves in the mirror, let's smile and feel happy for being alive

HAVE A NICE DAY 

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.
So beautiful belita xxx
ReplyDeletevery true words that you are fortunate to know..... ;-) pass a fork for that dessert!
ReplyDeletelooks like u have done some soul searching...good for you...
ReplyDeleteOh, how wonderful! You have the right attitude. May I keep a copy of this to remind myself of what life is all about?
ReplyDeleteI'm quite sure that you're having a great time with Life. Belita.
ReplyDeleteEmotions, feelings arise from within in different forms, although some are hard to bear; for me, they are all precious and beautiful.
You are aging gracefully and wisely Belita I agree with every single word!
ReplyDeleteOf course, you can, Virginia!
ReplyDeleteWith pleasure, Monica!
ReplyDeleteWhat can I say to this...words like wise, beautiful, good and mature come to my mind. I'm so grateful that one can find people like you also online, Belita. Glad we are friends :)
ReplyDeletesounds like something to look forward to..
ReplyDeletewhat a positive view on getting older, tori :)
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, Amalie! It's nice to notice that younger people than me have already that 'philosophy'...
ReplyDeleteVery enjoyable...pleasure to read.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it great to be past all that worrying about what others are going to say. I agree, live and enjoy life while we can.
ReplyDeleteYou make growing older seem such a pleasure. Ever since entering my 50's I fear age. It's pathetic how quietly depressed I've been and working through the admittedly VAIN fact that I no longer have reason to be vain. Yet, sometimes having such high expectations for 'self' all my life has made me self-centred and unable to let go and just enjoy the inevitable aging process until we die.
ReplyDeleteSome are more fortunate than others if able to live out their lives to a full and ripe old age!!!
I've just been watching a BBC broadcast, where aging people who'd been in the limelight during the 1970s and 1980s were subjected to an experiment that they, now in their '70s and '80s age-wise, were willing participants. They spent a week together in a house decorated in the decor of their prime. Even newspapers and television broadcasts reflected the 1970s. They literally had to pretend they were in this time period, even dressing and acting the part. The remarkable thing is that the experiment was like a PLACEBO to their minds, and they began acting younger. What happened as a result was that their health improved by the end of the week as well. It was such an intriguing experiment to watch, and these lovely people still had so much to offer in wisdom and know-how.
I wrote exactly what I think and feel. Every age has its pros and cons. Up to us to make the most of the pros and disregard or minimize the cons. I presume no woman likes to see wrinkles on her face but that's nothing if compared with wrinkful brains as many women have. Plastic surgery? Out of question unless in the case of an accident. When we reach a certain age and look back and find that every stage of our past was lived to full, that brings a certain peace of mind and serenity to accept the ageing process. I have never feared aging and aging signs, either. What may make me feel concerned is health condition. As long and as much my brains operate properly, my legs allow me to walk and my hands do not prevent me from golfing, I feel happy at this age. Even if one of them fails, there are so many other little things that can bring joy to daily life. Sometimes, people, women particularly, care about what is unnecessary and neglect what I understand as essential. Obviously, each person has his own world, and not always is this a rosy one. In my particular case, so far so good. No reason to be complaining but feel gratitude for the blessings....
ReplyDeletePretty much my thoughts on the way things are, don't really feel old until I hear myself calling a policeman - son! So much still to do in life, even got to think of some more subjects for Foto Fun - LOL.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteDearest Belita,
You write with such positiveness, your best quality especially when you express your own self and your life.This post was a pleasure to read, and inside and out Belita, you are indeed a wonderful person , glad you and I crossed paths .x