Some years ago, I had a bad sailing experience when I went on a cruise to Istanbul and all the way through the narrow Dardanelles strait - connecting the Black Sea to the Mediterranean Sea - we had very strong winds and (downwind) waves.
Since then, I have always said that I would never board, again in my life, any boat sailing the ocean. Not until yesterday did I. Yes, yesterday I broke my personal promise. Friends of mine convinced me to go sailing with them. The inaugural America’s Cup World Series had got under way in the port city of Cascais - 30-minute driving from Lisbon - and they were going to watch the fleet race from their boat, on the second day of the event. At first, I said 'never' but they insisted so much that I decided to accept their kindness.
The day was perfect for sailing, warm, no strong wind and the sea was not rough at all. Boats dancing on the water, people watching the race crowded the piers... However, the best place to appreciate all those boats was from the water - close to - and I could hardly have been better placed. It was a fun day and a good lesson, too... From yesterday on, I will be careful when I say 'never'.
Hope you enjoy sailing without getting seasick...
What a wonderful day you had! Did you come home sunburned? The sun looks so bright!
ReplyDeleteNot at all. I always apply a 50+ broad UVB and UVA protection cream. I don't like to get sun tan.
ReplyDeleteThat's very wise. Some of the older sailboats are beautiful, don't you think.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, I agree with you. The design is more elegant but I suppose the maintenance of older sailboats costs a lot...
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm sure! Even wood that weathers well is bound to be affected by salt water.
ReplyDeleteGlad you were able to go. I've only been on tour boats in the ocean and close to shore.
ReplyDeleteTerrific series, dear!
ReplyDeleteI easily get sea sick tto, but pills aginst it helps a lot. Giving yourself a second chance to experience the beauty of sailing, was a good choice.
ReplyDeleteLovely images..!
I was struck by how much the shape of the sails have changed over the years. Glad you had such a pleasurable day with your friends. Some great pictures.
ReplyDeletevery nice and interesting slide show...I'm really enjoying it...
ReplyDelete