As I was savouring Ceylon tea at Lawrence's,
A hotel, said to be the world's second oldest,
Where the poet Lord Byron stayed for a while,
I thought of his days in there and... I smiled.
I was taken to the small room where he slept.
I saw a portrait of him, perhaps not at his best.
Outside, the spring's warm rays of sunshine
Were kissing the roofs in search of their love line
Or, where they reading the tea leaves in my cup
And guess how good or bad would be my luck?
Lord Byron would surely like to return back there,
Breath that unique ambiance, that pure air.
And, under the shade of a fragrant European linden
A hotel, said to be the world's second oldest,
Where the poet Lord Byron stayed for a while,
I thought of his days in there and... I smiled.
I was taken to the small room where he slept.
I saw a portrait of him, perhaps not at his best.
Outside, the spring's warm rays of sunshine
Were kissing the roofs in search of their love line
Or, where they reading the tea leaves in my cup
And guess how good or bad would be my luck?
Lord Byron would surely like to return back there,
Breath that unique ambiance, that pure air.
And, under the shade of a fragrant European linden
He might again describe Sintra as a 'Glorious Eden'.
©Belita
Note: Lawrence's Hotel is located in Sintra, a small town near Lisbon
Those old hotels in Europe do have a charm of their own. I can imagine Byron sipping his tea or perhaps enjoying a glass of something stronger - lovely poem
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful picture you have painted with your words, Lord Byron was quite the poet! I love your collage too! (I need to try to do that sometime)
ReplyDeleteDidn't Byron have one of his women with him? Loved that line about him not looking at his best. I always hated Byron - entirely too handsome for my tastes.
ReplyDeleteThat is a wonderful description. I felt what you were feeling. I was drawn in. It was a lovely moment. Thank you.
ReplyDeletewow, I love the imagery, quite perfect...Lord Byron was so lucky to sit there having tea with the rays of sunlight upon his head...
ReplyDeleteI love the collage too...great entry for the week, Belita!
GREAT PHOTO! THE RHYTHM IS LILTING AND THE RHYMES GIVE THE WHOLE POEM GREAT STRUCTURE. I REALLY ENJOYED READING YOUR POEM THIS WEEK!
ReplyDeletehttp://sylvie1.multiply.com/journal/item/804/CREATIVE_CHALLENGE_49_..._RAYS_OF_SUNLIGHT
man...great tale/poem
ReplyDeleteyou really brought me into that one
Thanks to all of you for your kind comments. I am sure any of you would like to stay for a while over there. It's quite a nice place. I intend to further post one or two detailed entries with photos which will show how beautiful and romantic town Sintra is.
ReplyDeleteWonderful, this is such a lovely story :))
ReplyDeletehttp://hedgewitch9.multiply.com/journal/item/249
Byron has always seemed a bit flaky to me, a sort of irresponsible, wild, irritating artistic type, like Tom Cruise.
ReplyDeleteFirst, Happy Belated Birthday! Hope you had a truly special day.
ReplyDeleteThis is amazing. I LOVE how you worked the phrase in the poem. It was one of my favorite lines. GREAT post!
http://bostonsdandd.multiply.com/journal/item/292
The little particles you describe here beginning with Byron: portrait, kissing the roofs, tea leaves, luck, and ending on a thought note of Byron from a fragrant linden, to a glourioius eden. You have pained a rather nice poetic story here with so few words. Well done. 8=)
ReplyDeleteI hope you had a beautiful birthday! The pictures and the challenge are just lovely, (((((hugs)))))have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing such wondrous memories.
ReplyDeleteIt must be nice to have walked in the footprints of Lord Byron and other wonderful poets of his day...
I love the pics too!
I too wish you enjoyed your Birthday. Happy Belated!
I wish your weekend is splendid as well.
---Queen
http://oao1queen.multiply.com/journal/item/144/Your_Love_By_Queen_CC48_49
Well written ... I really enjoyed it...a slice of heaven, if only for a moment.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing
Very well written indeed.
ReplyDeletethank you so much for sharing this, thank you for the comment on my piece too, and thanks for the links, very interesting, smiles, Nica, Excellent poem, I loved it
ReplyDelete